Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Lazy-Day Overnight Lasagna

Lazy-Day Overnight Lasagna
I am a sucker for lasagna and I will try any recipe for it that I come across! Normally I  make it totally from scratch. When I came across this recipe, the title caught my eye. Using a jar of tomato pasta sauce and not cooking the noodles really speeds up the process of this recipe. What's also nice is you can put this together, put it in the fridge and it's ready for the next nights meal. I used a pasta sauce from Barilla. Instead of using sliced mozzarella cheese, I used shredded. I also used ground beef instead of sausage.

My favorite types of lasagna are chicken and seafood. I haven't made either in quite awhile so I think I may have to pull out my recipes and make them. We thought this recipe was great and my husband said he would definitely eat this again. I thought it was so easy that I will make it when I'm craving lasagna and don't have the time to make it totally from scratch.
Lazy-Day Overnight Lasagna
Lazy-Day Overnight Lasagna
Adapted from a Pillsbury Recipe from Casseroles & Slow Cooker Cookbook Magazine
12 servings

1 lb mild bulk Italian pork sausage or ground beef
1 jar (26 to 28 oz) tomato pasta sauce
1 cup water
1 container (15 oz) ricotta cheese
2 tablespoons chopped fresh chives
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano leaves
1 egg
8 oz uncooked lasagna noodles
1 package (16 oz) sliced mozzarella cheese
2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese

In a 12-inch skillet, cook sausage over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally, until no longer pink. Drain well. Stir in pasta sauce and water. Heat to boiling. Reduce heat to low; simmer 5 minutes.

In medium bowl, mix ricotta cheese, chives, oregano and egg.

In ungreased 13x9-inch (3-quart) glass baking dish or lasagna pan, spread 1-1/2 cups of the  meat sauce. Top with half each of the uncooked noodles, ricotta cheese mixture and mozzarella cheese. Repeat with 1-1/2 cups meat sauce and remaining noodles, ricotta cheese mixture and mozzarella cheese. Top with remaining meat sauce. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese. Cover; refrigerate 12 hours or overnight.

Heat oven to 350°F. Uncover baking dish; bake 50 to 60 minutes or until noodles are tender and casserole is bubbly. Cover; let stand 15 minutes before serving.

This post is linked to these parties: Foodie Wednesday, These Chicks Cooked, What I Whipped Up Wednesday.

If you're interested in participating in a Christmas Card Swap and Blog Hop check this out!


Thanks for stopping by!

No comments:

09 10